Thursday, May 19, 2022

All Night

 After the first night he was home, Stacy and I wrestled the small recliner, from my home office, upstairs to the bedroom.
That's where I've been at night when "Kaaren's" asleep.
I sit and read while I listen to him breathe, just in case.
I was reading when Stacy poked her head in earlier to see if I needed or wanted anything.
I told her that some tea would be lovely.
She returned a few minutes later with my favorite, Irish Breakfast Tea, and stood by while I sipped at it.
She was staring at "Kaaren" and she looked so sad.
I suggested that she should cuddle with him for a while.
She carefully climbed into bed with him and spooned up against him.
He scooched back against her even though he was still asleep.
I sipped my tea and smiled.
She loves him so much.
I went back to my book and it wasn't long before I realized that she too had fallen asleep. Nestled together, like lovers, her arm holding him.
There was real beauty in this, my husband asleep in her arms while I watched over them.
 It's nice to know that he has two of us looking after him.
Some day soon I might be able to sleep without worry, but it's not going to be anytime soon. 
For now I'm sitting and listening to their rhythmic breathing and the occasional murmurs of their adventures in dreamland.
The dawn will be coming soon and then I can sleep. 
Somehow I feel like he's safe in the daylight and so I watch over him all night.
I was never afraid of the dark before, but I am now.

Mrs.K
 






5 comments:

  1. So happy for you all

    ReplyDelete
  2. That just sounds so sweet, the little spoon snuggling back with Stacy's arm around his waist. Stacy misses him too. Hopefully all better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bear hugs and forehead kisses for all three of you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs K - i am so happy that you and Stacy have Kaaren back with you. i hope that this time his recovery is trouble free and that he is soon back to his naughty self.

    p
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!! Been hoping for this! SaraE

    ReplyDelete